Sunday, April 13, 2014

EDITOR'S LETTER: April 2014

As it turns out, the subject of The Secrets of Stylists has grown to be highly contemplative on my part. I have been ferociously reading and researching different perspectives in regards to styling, and as one can see from the tardiness of this April's Editor Letter, my posts have been faltering these past two months. I figured though that if I am to write on The Secrets of Stylists, gaining a survey of perspectives from notable artists and stylists that have come before me would make my insights most plausible. My list of books so far include: Vidal Sasson: How one man changed the world with a pair of scissors, Grace: A Memoir, Living for Design by Yves Saint Laurent, Threads by Joseph Abboud, The Vogue Factor by Kristie Clements, Secrets of Stylists by Sasha Charnin Morrison, Fifty Fashion Looks that Changed the 1950s, as well as Fifty Fashion Looks that Changed the 1960s, and I am slated to read A.L.T: A Memoir, and Coco Chanel: The Legend and the Life by Justine Picardie. The time I have taken to read these books has given me ample time to reflect on their experiences and compare them with my own growing experience as a stylist, especially with my new position at Forever 21 dressing their mannequins. 

This blunt cut all the way around my head was meant to resemble the blunt cuts created by Vidal Sasson and his salon. In my fashion, his cuts did the job of making the wearer most memorable, and intriguing. 
Designs from the Vidal Sasson
salon in the 1960's
One stylist, who I owe my new haircut design to is Vidal Sasson, who indeed "changed the world with a pair of scissors". The hair designs which came from out of his studio (i.e. the Five Point Cut, the Wedge, the Box Bob, the Brush, the Quiff) are, in my fashion, some of the most classic of hair designs, and define the spirit of my favorite decade, the 60's. I love the 60's because there was such an explosion of a brave new world. With the youth revolution taking command in London, the London look was what really propelled style from then on. Vidal Sasson's collaboration with such figures as Twiggy, Mary Quant, Mia Farrow, Nancy Kwan, Peggy Moffitt, and Grace Coddington made such a statement, introducing a new way to frame one's beauty. His his architectural designs were smart, simple and bold, which in my fashion, are the ingredients of being classic. I was inspired by his architectural approach to cutting hair and I wanted to approach my own hair from that perspective. The clean lines, the intriguing way his designs framed one's face and created a clearly defined shape that is most memorable to onlookers is where I wanted to take my own hair. It's funny to me that I have gotten so many mixed reviews on my haircut, but I think I am going to press on with my cut and see where it takes me. I like the individuality of my cut, and that it is very impacting whether one likes it or not. Stylist work to make an impact and anticipate what we all WILL see as beautiful and CAN see as beautiful. 

On the documentary, "McQueen and I", a documentary on the lives of Alexander McQueen and Isabella Blow, Vogue Contributor, Plum Sykes mentioned that, "Some people just have an eye for beauty that other people don't have so they can see that something is beautiful before other people might be used to that particular look."  I have decided to extend this topic into next month as well as to share all that I have learned from the books I have read. With my busy schedule I have been less able to devote time to #IMFblog, but it is never out of my mind! I want to catch you up on the experiences of people who make it their duty to create statements of our time that impact how we see ourselves and what we see as beautiful. In my fashion, having a distinct style is a certain indication of strength and I feel stylists help people to access a strength within themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment