Sunday, September 16, 2012

Preserving Style: Breath IS Life



Preserving Style: Yoga, June 2012
If you recall from June when I focused on "movement" and how connecting one’s mind with one’s body brings a certain calm to ones demeanor in my Yoga post for Preserving Style. For me, yoga helps me to set the pace for my day. Diana Vreeland said, "How can one start their day without a healthy base?" I tend to agree! In the mornings I gauge how my body feels, and working out, doing exercises like yoga, really helps to get my breath together in the morning to control how fast or slow I want to move for that day. It’s like when one irons a shirt before putting it on. You have to iron out the wrinkles if you want to look crisp all day. 


In my fashion, one’s style is mostly important to keep us positive throughout the day. I find the hardest thing to do in life is to feel truly good about yourself, especially with everyone trying to tell you how to live YOUR life. If you don't feel good about yourself, you won't be of much use to anybody in this life if I’m not mistaken. It’s not until you know thyself, when one can actually BE thy best self for the people around us.


If you are not familiar with a program on Oprah’s OWN Network entitled “Super Soul Sunday”, she features a popular Reverend to the All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena, California by the name of Ed Bacon. Dwight and I caught the tail end of the program on our way out the door to church with our cousins and among all of his wise talk on faith and spirituality, he had some very insightful advice on how our connection with our breath is vital to listening to those cues life throws in our face telling us the direction to take in our lives. Read the information I extracted from the “The Book of Yoga: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide” by Lucy Lidell. Going into this week take this information into consideration and try to see if you find a difference within one’s self. 






No comments:

Post a Comment