Wednesday, January 22, 2014

à la mode: 5 Days, 5 Looks, 1 Girl

In my fashion, it’s incredible how my clothes affect my mood. I was speaking with a coworker the other day about how it’s crazy how for some of us we just can’t leave the house without feeling absolutely comfortable in our outfits. I hate when I get the feeling I have nothing to wear for the day because when I do, I don’t feel as confident as I want to feel, especially during these winter months when we have to think in layers. There have been many a time I have been late to work changing my outfit 2, 3, or 4 times because I feel I have not assembled an innovative enough look for my day, or it doesn't speak just right about how I am feeling for the day, or that I know it’s not going to keep me equipped for the day ahead (i.e. for cold weather). To keep me from feeling this way in the morning, I have resorted to preparing my outfits the night before and that has been hard because I usually like to dress according to how I am feeling when I wake. While it’s hard to foretell how I am going to feel when I wake, my solution is to anticipate how I want to feel for the next day, and the outfit I pick out sets the stage for how I will feel. This in turn has helped me to fortify my positivity for the day because in gearing my mind for the day ahead, no matter hectic my day turns out to be, I am reminded with my look to feel great because I look great. I get excited about feeling a certain way (i.e. confident, laid back, utilitarian) because of the look I prepare for myself the night before, a perfect example of the notion that when you dress the outside, you dress the inside. In my fashion, of course one has to prepare oneself for the forecast, but taking it a step further and setting an intention for your day by getting your mind right for a certain attitude with your look is an excellent way to keep oneself in the right frame of mind to accomplish your goals for the day. In our society, we have to get up, and get dressed—fashion is life. As I heard Babs Simpson, say in the HBO documentary, “In Vogue: The Editor's Eye”, “Fashion is important because it revives one! I don’t’ think it’s just frivolous, because I think it would be very depressing if one wore the same shirt and skirt forever.”

Vogue Girls featured in 5 Days, 5 Looks, 1 Girl: Lauren Santo Domingo, Claiborne Swanson Frank, Grace Fuller, Sylvana Ward Durrett, Eugenia Miranda, and Emma Morrison

I love “5 Days, 5 Looks, 1 Girl” on Vogue.com. I love reading the girls reasons for wearing what they wore because I gain a lot of insight and motivation to think about my closet and dressing myself differently yet staying true to my personal core. The Vogue girls emphasize their intentions for wearing each piece with specific reasoning, and as I always have championed on #IMFblog is that pieces worn with a certain intention tend to shine brighter than items put on for the pure intention of showing off. It’s so much more striking to allow your character to shine brighter than your clothes. What I find when we get the feeling that we have nothing to wear is that we have run out of inspiration to feel a connection to what we have in our closet, and that we are blocked from thinking about a creative enough justification for wearing the items we posses. While I may want to go straight out to the store and buy something new to wear, that is not the genius in having strong style. From “5 Days, 5 Looks, 1 Girl” I learn about being what I call “Vogue Worthy”, meaning one can be put in the pages of Vogue with the outfit you chose. They help me to realize that dressing up is less about being flashy by showing off new accessories and pieces, it’s about knowing which pieces to wear that make it possible for others to see your pride in being individual. When that is accomplished, people are able to see not just your strong sense of style, but in essence, your strong sense of self. You are not someone who haphazardly wears certain items to gain superficial attention, but when you speak, you have something important and worthwhile to say. One wants others to sense that because when people understand that there is a rhyme and reason to what you wear, people tend to figure that you must have a strong, and valid point of view as to who you are, and are not. The items in your closet speak a certain something about how you live life and, in my fashion, one should always want to show that your opinion means something important, and that you are not just a cloths horse with a malleable sense of life. These next few weeks, I will highlight some of my favorite Vogue Girls who have been showcased on Vogue’s, “5 Days, 5 Looks, 1 Girl”, so you can get a better feel for what I mean, and maintain sartorial elegance for the rest of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment