Monday, July 16, 2012

Style Watch: Chiddy Bang

“Take a second look and you'll see, there ain’t no one like me!”  If this phrase isn’t morning inspiration, then I just don’t know what inspiration is! This phrase from the track, “Mind Your Manners” comes from the new duo in music from Philly, Chiddy Bang. In my fashion, I can appreciate their style in this video with their colorful, spirited and clever visual interpretation of this message. First let me say, I have been eyeing these two boys and seeing them make appearances (Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, The Swelly Life Tour) more and more, and taking consideration of their backstory makes me feel proud of the ambitious individuals of my generation. In this video, I love the colored “Jabawaki” masks! When we are spun in a 360 vantage point shot of the recording Jabawaki people, I feel they represent those people in the world that conform to the norm; those that will look and judge you, for you are the one they see that isn’t afraid to be different and unique. Those in the video without masks proudly proclaim, "There is no one like me,” why? For it is a simple truth! They don't look like the empty, stoic faces of the Jabawaki men sans any hint of personality. They are aware of themselves and what they are good at, and have no problem expressing their talent no matter how much public scrutiny is wrought upon them. Our abilities to do something that others cannot should be celebrated, refined, and appreciated so we can make the most of ourselves, in my fashion. It’s like Earl Knightingale quoted from Rollo May: "The opposite of courage  in our society is not cowardice, it's conformity." Do what you do, be the best at what you do, and be proud of what you do!


No comments:

Post a Comment