Monday, December 23, 2013

READing Your Style: Legends of the Zodiac - Sagittarius

Oh joy, to the internet and how it makes life so much more convenient! I have finally found a useful purpose for Pinterest! Now, I have had a Pinterest account for a few months and it has taken me a while to take a liking to it, especially considering all the other social media platforms I already have. But this month, as I was searching for jewelry to feature for this here series on 'Jewelry for the Holidays based on Zodiac Gemstones', I found Pinterest to be a great tool as an online buying guide, especially for all my last minute gifters. What I have been able to do is create a ‘board’ for each sign of the zodiac, and based on the gemstone that correlates with each sign, I was able to scour other Pinterest boards, and ‘Pin’ jewelry that I found to be great buying options based on the gemstone I wanted to feature for each sign. Please visit and follow my Pinterest if you have one, and create on if you don’t, for I have found jewelry of all price ranges from different sources ranging from Bulgari to Etsy.com. If perhaps your “ballin’ on a budget”, I include more reasonably priced look-a-like pieces of the gemstones featured for each zodiac that are made of crystal, and even plastic. In my fashion, it’s all about the look and what your jewelry means to you, not the price! I was pleasantly surprised at how good a resource Pinterest is for shopping and selling. I say, if you are salesperson, consider Pinterest to display your product, especially if you have unique items. I can just imagine how many people want interesting, one-of-a-kind pieces, but don’t know where to go to shop for just what they want. For consumers, Pinterest is a great way to find those pieces, and for sellers, it’s a great way to market your pieces to the worldwide market.


As I promised in my December Editor’s Letter, I hope you find the ‘Legends of the Zodiac’ stories from, ‘The Only Astrology Book You’ll Ever Need’, as entertaining as I did. They are intended to educate and inspire more intimate and intriguing reasons for adorning oneself with such gems inspired by the zodiac. As I have always championed on #IMFblog, items worn with a certain intention make for stronger individual style, and in my fashion, the items we wear provide their own energy in the same way our personalities provide/receive energy from other people. If you think about it, it is interesting how the jewelry we wear, or see others wearing, can affect our mood. Whether it’s more of a mental process, or that gems/jewelry radiate a certain “life energy”, there is something to be said about jewelry’s transformative qualities on our perceptions of ourselves or other wearers.

The sign of Sagittarius stands for the power of positive thinking, and the topaz succeeds in warding off the hazards of negativity of mind and body. Sagittarius is associated with the temperance card of the tarot. Both the sign, the card and the topaz, channel healing powers that relieve ailments such as athritis, rheumatism and strains on the immune system. (Read more from Frank Pilkington)
Sagittarius, the ninth sign of the zodiac, is depicted as an Archer, but the Archer is not an ordinary man drawing a bow. He is a centaur, that mythological creature who is half man and half horse. Sagittarius is the only astrological sign to have both a human and animal representation.

The constellation of Sagittarius, however, is not just any centaur. It is the great and wise Chiron, a son of the titan-god Saturn. Chiron was a friend and confidant of both gods and men. The gods taught Chiron the arts of medicine, hunting and riding, music, and prophesy. In turn, Chiron himself became a renowned teacher. Among his famous pupils were Achilles, Jason, Castor, and Pollux, and Hercules.

One day, while the great Hercules was hunting a dangerous boar, he accidently struck Chiron in the knee with a poisonous shaft. Chiron suffered the agony of dying, but because he was immortal he could not die. Hercules promised to find death to release him. On his journey Hercules came across poor Prometheus, chained throughout eternity to a rock where an eagle tore at his liver. The supreme god Jupiter had put a curse on Prometheus: his torture would last until someone of his own free will consented to suffer in his place. The dying Chiron took Prometheus’s place. Thus, the curse was fulfilled. Chiron was allowed to die, and Prometheus was set free by Hercules.

After Chiron’s death Jupiter rewarded his noble character by placing the heroic centaur among the stars, and he became the constellation Sagittarius. 

No comments:

Post a Comment