Monday, December 23, 2013

READing Your Style: Legends of the Zodiac - Scorpio

Oh joy, to the internet and how it makes life so much more convenient! I have finally found a useful purpose for Pinterest! Now, I have had a Pinterest account for a few months and it has taken me a while to take a liking to it, especially considering all the other social media platforms I already have. But this month, as I was searching for jewelry to feature for this here series on 'Jewelry for the Holidays based on Zodiac Gemstones', I found Pinterest to be a great tool as an online buying guide, especially for all my last minute gifters. What I have been able to do is create a ‘board’ for each sign of the zodiac, and based on the gemstone that correlates with each sign, I was able to scour other Pinterest boards, and ‘Pin’ jewelry that I found to be great buying options based on the gemstone I wanted to feature for each sign. Please visit and follow my Pinterest if you have one, and create on if you don’t, for I have found jewelry of all price ranges from different sources ranging from Bulgari to Etsy.com. If perhaps your “ballin’ on a budget”, I include more reasonably priced look-a-like pieces of the gemstones featured for each zodiac that are made of crystal, and even plastic. In my fashion, it’s all about the look and what your jewelry means to you, not the price! I was pleasantly surprised at how good a resource Pinterest is for shopping and selling. I say, if you are salesperson, consider Pinterest to display your product, especially if you have unique items. I can just imagine how many people want interesting, one-of-a-kind pieces, but don’t know where to go to shop for just what they want. For consumers, Pinterest is a great way to find those pieces, and for sellers, it’s a great way to market your pieces to the worldwide market.


As I promised in my December Editor’s Letter, I hope you find the ‘Legends of the Zodiac’ stories from, ‘The Only Astrology Book You’ll Ever Need’, as entertaining as I did. They are intended to educate and inspire more intimate and intriguing reasons for adorning oneself with such gems inspired by the zodiac. As I have always championed on #IMFblog, items worn with a certain intention make for stronger individual style, and in my fashion, the items we wear provide their own energy in the same way our personalities provide/receive energy from other people. If you think about it, it is interesting how the jewelry we wear, or see others wearing, can affect our mood. Whether it’s more of a mental process, or that gems/jewelry radiate a certain “life energy”, there is something to be said about jewelry’s transformative qualities on our perceptions of ourselves or other wearers.

The opal bears rejuvenating and beauty enhancing powers too. Wear opals to bring out your inner beauty and to enhance psychic an intuitive perception, as just as Scorpionic energies enhance one's access to hidden potentials and buried treasure, opals can enhance one's ability to uncover hidden sources of wealth and personal power. (Read more from Frank Pilkington)

The eighth sign of the zodiac is represented by the Scorpion, a poisonous creature that can paralyze its victims with the sting of its tail.

The sign of Scorpio suffers from its association with the scorpion, since its symbol is often hated and feared. The scorpion, however, was not always reviled. In ancient Egypt it was deified in the form of Selket, the scorpion-goddess. Selket was the protectress of the dead, and she is often seen on walls of tombs with her winds spread out in a protective gesture.

The classical myth of the Scorpion begins with the death of Orion, a beautiful young giant and a great hunter who was the son of Neptune (god of the Sea). Tales of Orion’s prowess, strength, and manliness are legend. The story of his death is related in many versions. One is that Eos, goddess of the dawn, fell in love with him and carried him away with her. Diana, the moon-goddess, became jealous that Eos should take a mortal lover and commanded a scorpion to kill Orion.

Another version is that Orion tried to rape Diana, and she brought a giant scorpion out of the earth that stung Orion to death.

After Orion’s death, Jupiter placed both Orion and the Scorpion among the stars. They each became a constellation. Orion, with his golden armor and sword in hand, is one of the brightest and most spectacular constellations in the heavens on a winter night. But when the Scorpion, who was placed in the zodiac, rises in summer, the brilliance of Orion fade

No comments:

Post a Comment