Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Style Maven: Audrey Hepburn (Part 2 - On Success...)

As I said in my Editor’s Letter this month, if anyone wants to understand how to be truly happy in life, one should study the life and values of Ms. Audrey Hepburn—so I will make it easy for you to do so with my 10 part Style Maven series this month. In my fashion, after reading Melissa Hellstern’s book, 'How to be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life', one sees Audrey Hepburn as a prime example of how to overcome the self-defeating attitudes we have of ourselves, and rise to the occasion where ever you are needed. For me personally, considering Hepburn was an introverted soul, she reminds me that being an introvert, it is possible to step out of one’s comfort zone to achieve the success we desire. "We may be introverts, but that is not all that we are," I tell myself! I think she shows that there is strength in all of us (introverted or extroverted) to accomplish great successes and create a happy life, which is exactly why I preach of understanding what our unique strengths are so we can be as useful in this life as possible. She shows no matter how delicate, beautiful, or kind you are, we all have our tribulations in life, no matter how glorious we appear in the public eye. She reminds us that at the end of the day we all have to work for the satisfaction we want in life, and one cannot fret over what one cannot control. Life gets on when you do, so make it happen! I would only hope that the following posts help you to figure out how to emulate some of that effervescence Audrey possessed by adjusting how you see life through her eyes.

On Success: How to make your mark...

Be a Good Student “The work ethic—don’t complain, don’t give in if you’re tired, don’t go out the night before you have to dance. Sonia taught me that if you really worked hard, you’d succeed, and that everything has to come from the inside.” – on her ballet teacher Sonia Gaskell


When Opportunity Knocks, Answer “This is how I got into movies: not because I thought it was so wonderful to be in one and, gosh, here’s my dream coming true, but because I need money to live. And so, when another opportunity was offered me, I took it. Gratefully.” 




Wing it if You Have To “All my life I've been in situations where I've had no technique, but if you feel enough, you can get away with murder.”




Work Hard “If you want to get psychological, you can say my definiteness stems from underlying feelings of insecurity and inferiority. I couldn't conquer these feelings by acting indecisive. I found the only way to get the better of them was by putting my foot down, by adopting a forceful and concentrated drive.”


Nerves are Normal “There is a Dutch saying, ‘Don’t fret; it will happen differently anyway.’ I believe that.”




Use Whatever Tools Necessary “What has always helped me a great deal, for instance, are the clothes, because as I didn't have this technique of being able to deal with a part in, you know, however way it was, it was often an enormous help to know that you looked the part. Then the rest wasn't so tough anymore.”







Be Prepared to Sacrifice “My greatest ambition is to have a career without becoming a career women."

No comments:

Post a Comment