Sunday, November 23, 2014

Style Maven: Audrey Hepburn (Part 5 - On Family...)

As I said in my Editor’s Letter this month, if anyone wants to understand how to be truly happy in life, one should study the life and values of Ms. Audrey Hepburn—so I will make it easy for you to do so with my 10 part Style Maven series this month. In my fashion, after reading Melissa Hellstern’s book, 'How to be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life', one sees Audrey Hepburn as a prime example of how to overcome the self-defeating attitudes we have of ourselves, and rise to the occasion where ever you are needed. For me personally, considering Hepburn was an introverted soul, she reminds me that being an introvert, it is possible to step out of one’s comfort zone to achieve the success we desire. "We may be introverts, but that is not all that we are," I tell myself! I think she shows that there is strength in all of us (introverted or extroverted) to accomplish great successes and create a happy life, which is exactly why I preach of understanding what our unique strengths are so we can be as useful in this life as possible. She shows no matter how delicate, beautiful, or kind you are, we all have our tribulations in life, no matter how glorious we appear in the public eye. She reminds us that at the end of the day we all have to work for the satisfaction we want in life, and one cannot fret over what one cannot control. Life gets on when you do, so make it happen! I would only hope that the following posts help you to figure out how to emulate some of that effervescence Audrey possessed by adjusting how you see life through her eyes.

On Family: How to nurture those you love...


Love Your Mother Anyway “My mother was not an affectionate person. She was a fabulous mother, but she had a Victorian upbringing of great discipline, of great ethics. She was very strict, very demanding of her children. She had a lot of love within her, but she was not always able to show it.” 

Forgive Your Father “Having my father cut himself off from me when I was only six was desperately awful. If I could have just seen him regularly, I would have felt he loved me. But as it was, I always envied other people’s fathers, came home with tears, because they had a daddy.”


Believe in Miracles “Like all new mothers, I couldn't believe at first he was really for me, and I could really keep him. I’m still filled with wonder of being able to go out and come back—and find he’s still there.”



Be Present “The fact that I've made movies doesn't mean breakfast gets made or that my child does better in his homework. I still have to function as a woman in a household.” 



Teach Your Children Well “Never let yourself grow up believing that…anybody is any different from anybody else…we’re all the same.”

No comments:

Post a Comment