Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Style Maven: Audrey Hepburn (Part 8 - On Style...)

As I said in my Editor’s Letter this month, if anyone wants to understand how to be truly happy in life, one should study the life and values of Ms. Audrey Hepburn—so I will make it easy for you to do so with my 10 part Style Maven series this month. In my fashion, after reading Melissa Hellstern’s book, 'How to be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life', one sees Audrey Hepburn as a prime example of how to overcome the self-defeating attitudes we have of ourselves, and rise to the occasion where ever you are needed. For me personally, considering Hepburn was an introverted soul, she reminds me that being an introvert, it is possible to step out of one’s comfort zone to achieve the success we desire. "We may be introverts, but that is not all that we are," I tell myself! I think she shows that there is strength in all of us (introverted or extroverted) to accomplish great successes and create a happy life, which is exactly why I preach of understanding what our unique strengths are so we can be as useful in this life as possible. She shows no matter how delicate, beautiful, or kind you are, we all have our tribulations in life, no matter how glorious we appear in the public eye. She reminds us that at the end of the day we all have to work for the satisfaction we want in life, and one cannot fret over what one cannot control. Life gets on when you do, so make it happen! I would only hope that the following posts help you to figure out how to emulate some of that effervescence Audrey possessed by adjusting how you see life through her eyes.

On Style: How to be an icon...



Know Yourself “You have to look at yourself objectively. Analyze yourself like an instrument. You have to be absolutely frank with yourself. Face your handicaps, don’t try to hide them. Instead, develop something else.”



Less is More “Balenciaga once said the secret of elegance is elimination, I believe that. That’s why I love Hubert Givenchy…They’re clothes without ornament, with everything stripped away.”






Comfort Is Crucial “First of all, even if you had the money you wouldn't want to buy them. You spend now on one evening dress what it would have cost to buy full wardrobes for two years.”






Avoid Trends “I want to stay in fashion. But being young in spirit counts more toward looking young than dressing in a hippy style."



Style for Life “It’s the flowers you choose, the music you play, the smile you have waiting. I want it to be gay and cheerful, a haven in this troubled world.”

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post! I could not agree more on the Audrey advice! Stumbled across this post when we were researching for our next article post. I'll be sure to credit you if we use some of it! :)

    ReplyDelete