Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Another Year of Style


I thank God, for another
year of exploring style.
Yes, today is my birthday, and for today's post I wanted to take you to this past weekend when Dwight proposed an interesting observation to me. As he thought about his personality and his thought patterns, and how he would be the perfect candidate to be the tangible version of Nicki Minaj's alter ego, Roman, he observed that there cannot be that much of a variation in personality types in the world. It was funny because I had thought about this subject not too long ago, and I did some research on the subject and I came across my answer. There is basically 16 personality types according to late psychologist, Isabel Briggs Myers, and her Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). The reason why I bring about this subject on my birthday is because on my birthday it made me think of the personality I was born with and developed into. The link I provided for the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is a great site to explore who you are, and who other people are, and what specific characteristics make different people who they are. For $5.00 you can even take a Personality Test and find out which personality you are, specifically.

Although I didn't pay the $5.00 to get an accurate description of my personality, I most closely associate myself with  an "ISTJ" or a "Duty Fulfiller" as they describe, and Dwight agreed. Dwight was surprised to find out how accurate the description of his personality type, an ESTP or a "Doer",  was to his actual character. Possibly in the future we will pay the $5.00 to find out which personality the test says we are, and find the definitive answer because when you read other descriptions, one might also say to themselves they could be more than just one of the personality types.

I erge everyone to go to the site and figure out which perosnality they are according to credible psychological research as opposed to horoscopes (who comes up with them?). There are many other fun resources that elaborate on different aspects of your life at the site for specific personality types, including: Which personality type you are most compatible with, how to grow in life as your personality type, and other examples of other well known people of a particular personality.  As I have expressed before, understanding who we are is essential to leading a happy, and fulfilling life. If you are having troubles in your life that have you feeling uneasy, and you are unsure of how to cope with a certain situation, understanding the reasons for why you feel the way you do may be a good starting point towards solving your problems. Understanding your personality has everything to do with your style, and when you understand who you are, there is nothing anyone can say about your style, and what you put on your back.

(Side note: Dwight tends to remind me of one of my favorite 80's supermodels, Grace Jones. As an example of similar personality types, check out this clip of Grace Jones being interviewed by a "vintage", Joan Rivers, and those who know Dwight can see the similarities in their character. Remember her from the 1992 movie, Boomerang (this clip maybe graphic, but its hilarious)?) 

No comments:

Post a Comment