Tuesday, November 6, 2012

READing Your Style: Think Like a Mogul

Everybody wants to be "The Boss", am I right? Nobody wants to be given orders, and tasks, and to be delegated duties because, well, we ourselves want to be the ones to give orders, and tasks and to delegate duties. We all aspire to be "the boss", but how many of us really know what it takes to be an "effective" boss. In my fashion, the road to becoming a "boss" is to first be the boss of yourself. #IMFblog Style Maven, Steve Harvey (in my fashion, a highly esteemed inspiration of a man) broke it down more specifically in the August 2012 issue of Ebony in the article, "Think Like a Mogul". The following lists Harvey's 8 simple principals to success that he has followed in order to reach his current status as a "Boss", on his way towards MANifesting his Destiny:


1) BE THE BEST:"That single thought of wanting to be the best caused me to have to be the best at a lot of things in order to get there: I had to be the best opening act, then the best features act, then the best headliner, then the best guy to promote myself and the best person I could be. There were a lot of trials and tribulations to figure it all out, but all of the success stems from having that one desire to be the best."

2) HAVE AN UNBEATABLE WORK ETHIC: You have to have a work ethic that defies logic. That fear of disappointing your audience drives you to be the best."

3) TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEMPLE: "God has given me a temple, and in this temple, He gave me a gift: the ability to make people laugh. I don't want to do anything to tamper with that gift. I enjoy it too much, and its given me an incredible lifestyle. Its my duty to maintain my temple so that I can keep getting those blessings."

4) BOUNCE BACK FROM FAILURE: "You may fail but, you're not a failure if you're learning. When you learn you grow. That's how its done."

5) BUILD ON YOUR BRAND: He says he's constantly "re-setting goals-constantly evolving as a person," which has opened the door for bigger opportunities

6) SURROUND YOURSELF WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE: "There's a saying my father always taught me," Harvey says. "He said, 'Boy, remember this: Everybody who comes with you can't go with you.' There are some people in your life for just a season; you can't be afraid to cut the ties. Some people go to a certain point, and after that you have to let them go or they'll mess up the rest of your ride."If you can find people who will put your interests right up there next to theirs, have the good sense to know that you're the horse that pulls the wagon and will even put your best interest in front of their own, that's the magical equation."

7) BE A RULE BREAKER: "Rules, are for the ordinary people who need guidelines and ways to justify their failures." Ignore the statistics and definitely toss out rules like, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket," and "Always have a Plan B," Which Harvey says only set you up for failure."

8) GIVEBACK: You can't just get your big house on the hill and don't show someone how to get one. The more He trusts you, the more He gives you. If you're selfish, you'll lose all of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment